Thursday, May 12, 2011

Expectations and Realities


frisée salad with poached egg and bacon

What I expected to find in Northern California agriculture were small local farms focused on producing quality produce and protecting the environment. I also expected to find farmers with an idealistic vision to save the planet.  Californians have had a reputation for being a bunch of tree hugging hippies who have lost touch with reality. So I anticipated meeting long haired farmers wearing Birkenstocks, shorts, and patterned long sleeve shirts with a down vest over top. What balanced my expectations was the exposure to California’s agriculture industry in part one of this course. This tempered my expectations and brought them into a realistic frame.  So early on I developed an understanding of the vast spectrum of agriculture in Northern California.

I found that my expectation of experiencing a wide spectrum of agricultural producers was fulfilled. The site visits exposed me to both ends of the spectrum and the balance found in the middle of the spectrum. The similarities across the spectrum interested me most. Practices such as sustainability, knowledgeable staff, forward thinking innovation, and professionalism were common in the sites we visited thus far. The momentum sustainability has gained in agra-business is encouraging because the industry has recognized the importance of reducing waste and pollution, which benefit the planet and profitability. Understanding the depth of knowledge required in producing food and beverage on a commercial scale is what I found valuable. Our visit to UC Davis gave me an appreciation for the research that goes into our food system. I found the Food Science Department impressive and learning about its research methods exceeded my expectations.
            The presence of agriculture in Sacramento and Santa Cruz exemplified the spectrum of agriculture in Northern California. On the small/medium, local end of the spectrum we have Yolo Land & Cattle Co., Vino Noceto, Gizdich Ranch, and Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing Company. On the large, global end of the spectrum we have E & J Gallo, Driscoll’s, and California Vegetable Specialties. In consideration of this spectrum I found myself wrestling with this question. What does all of this mean?

Driscoll's Strawberry
With the intention of becoming a caterer, I began to ask what or how do I apply this new understanding of our food system? Is one better than the other?  Is one good and the other bad?  I came to the conclusion that the food system in California has a wide spectrum because it is what consumers want. The small growers provide foods for niche markets and the large producers position themselves to feed the masses. Each producer we met has developed practices that enable them to meet the market demand for what they produce. For example, when I asked Bob Fisher at Driscoll’s if they sell to Wal-Mart he responded “not so much because their customers aren’t willing to pay as much for their berries”. Driscoll’s provides premium fresh berries to consumers who want a higher quality product and are willing to pay for it. So the question becomes: what do my potential customers want and do I know enough about it to provide it to them? Just as the researchers at UC Davis are experts when it comes to food science we are becoming experts at understanding the food system and how and where to source a variety of food and beverage products that our future customers will demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment